Carnival Corporation Awarded Three U.S. Patents for Guest Experience Innovations
U.S. Patent No. 10,037,642 has been issued for OceanMedallion, which contains a proprietary blend of communication technologies including Near Field Communication (NFC) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), as well as other non-disclosed capabilities.
The Medallion™ device communicates a cruise guest's unique digital identity with an intelligent shipboard network to provide crew members relevant information about each guest to enhance guest-crew interactions and deliver a high level of personalized service on a large scale. The device enables all aspects of an elevated guest vacation including hassle-free payment; keyless, personalized stateroom access; frictionless embarkation; on-demand services and more.
The OceanMedallion activates a travel industry first with an Experience Internet of Things™ (xIoT) platform – the focus of the company's second patent (U.S. No. 10,045,184) – to connect physical and digital experiences onboard. The guest-centric approach helps maximize the vacation experience in real-time based on guest choices and preferences as well as real-time Experience Intelligence™.
The xIoT platform features an invisible network of thousands of interactive intelligent sensors and embedded devices mounted throughout the ship, as well as select ports, linking individual guest and crew devices, shipboard software and hardware as well as synchronized cloud computing to form a unified guest experience platform.
"This level of innovation is unprecedented in the cruise and broader travel industry and reaffirms our commitment to develop solutions that deliver the very best vacation experience possible for our guests while leveraging the scale of our company," said
The company's guest experience innovations currently are being deployed on Caribbean Princess from
- Keyless Stateroom Access: Stateroom entry is a seamless experience where each guest is securely validated and the door automatically unlocks, with personalized greetings launching soon.
- OceanNow™: Using smart devices, guests have the ability to place a food or drink order and have it delivered directly to them in food and beverage locations throughout the ship.
- MedallionPay™: All guests use an easy and hassle-free, payment experience enabling crew members to focus on guest service interactions.
- OceanCasino™: On smart devices and select portals, guests can wager real money on a portfolio of games, including slots, poker, bingo, roulette, keno and lottery from anywhere on board.
- OceanCompass™ featuring OceanNav™ and ShipMates: On select portals guests can use OceanNav for point-to-point wayfinding throughout the ship via an intelligent navigation assistant, and utilize ShipMates to easily locate friends, family and kids.
- JourneyView: On portals throughout the ship, guests can access a real-time look at their itinerary, along with events and activities taking place during their cruise.
- OceanView™: Guests can stream more than 100 hours of award-winning Ocean Original travel content – which airs nationally on weekends on
ABCand NBC- to their smart device anywhere on the ship at no cost.
- PlayOcean™: On portals located shipwide, guests are able to play family games, including trivia, word jumble, a matching game, and Ocean Treks Adventure – an interactive, shipwide digital scavenger hunt.
Caribbean Princess now also features
About Carnival Corporation & plc
Together, the corporation's cruise lines operate 103 ships with 234,000 lower berths visiting over 700 ports around the world, with 22 new ships scheduled to be delivered between 2018 and 2025. Carnival Corporation & plc also operates Holland America Princess Alaska Tours, the leading tour company in Alaska and the Canadian Yukon. Traded on both the New York and London Stock Exchanges, Carnival Corporation & plc is the only group in the world to be included in both the
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation-awarded-three-us-patents-for-guest-experience-innovations-300741385.html
Carnival Corporation Media Contacts: Roger Frizzell, Carnival Corporation, email@example.com, (305) 406-7862; Mike Flanagan, LDWW, firstname.lastname@example.org, (727) 452-4538; Vicki Johnson, Carnival Corporation, email@example.com, (407) 340-9658