Carnival Corporation Update on Operations
- Our highest responsibility and top priorities are compliance, environmental protection and the health, well-being and safety of our guests, the communities we visit and our crew.
- We will resume cruising when society is ready, with enhanced health measures developed in conjunction with government health authorities, public health experts, local ports and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA).
- As our understanding of COVID-19 is still evolving, we are working closely with some of the best minds in medical science, public health and infectious disease control to understand the challenges posed by the virus and how best to mitigate its spread.
- Our CruiseHealth program elevates our existing practices to even greater levels to give consumers confidence and peace of mind when going on a cruise vacation with us.
- Our operational protocols are being designed to be flexible and responsive to quickly adapt to the latest learnings as necessary.
- Two of Carnival Corporation’s nine cruise line brands are scheduled to restart sailings in Europe – Italy-based Costa Cruises in September and Germany-based AIDA Cruises in November. The enhanced health and safety protocols in place for AIDA and Costa have been developed in coordination with medical and scientific experts, and national and global authorities.
CruiseHealth Program Enhancements and Protocols Being Contemplated
- Health Screening, Illness Surveillance and Health Education
- All guests and crew embarking a ship will undergo enhanced pre-embarkation health screening in accordance with prevailing health best practices, such as health questionnaires and touch-free temperature checks as appropriate
- Those identified at risk will undergo additional health evaluation by medical staff
- Health checks as appropriate during the cruise for guests and crew
- Rapid response and contact tracing plans in case of on-board illness
- Environmental Sanitization
- Routinely use a safe disinfectant proven to quickly kill novel coronaviruses
- Staterooms and public areas sanitized more frequently with cleaning and disinfection protocols developed in coordination with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
- Ships and terminals undergo more thorough sanitization between cruises
- Expanded disinfection methods using emerging and advanced technologies that are proven effective against coronavirus and other germs
- Guest Experience
- Responsible physical distancing managed by adjusting the flow, timing and size of groups
- Hand Hygiene – Additional handwashing facilities and hand sanitizing stations positioned in high-traffic areas throughout the ship
- Health Information – providing regular health reminders about the ways to stay healthy onboard and when ashore
- Health Care
- A team of highly trained medical staff including qualified doctors and nurses who have experience in caring for a broad range of medical conditions
- Medical centers that have both outpatient and inpatient facilities including critical care capabilities
- Medical centers modified for infection control best practices including dedicated air handling systems with 100% fresh air supply and HEPA exhaust filtration
- Medication onboard that improves COVID-19 clinical outcomes
- COVID-19 testing capabilities onboard and/or ashore with designated laboratories for potential cases onboard
- Dedicated isolation and quarantine rooms should they be needed
- Ongoing training and education of medical staff in the latest clinical care practices for managing COVID-19 cases
- Partnerships with local and regional medical providers
- Trained onboard staff to monitor compliance with health measures
- Training of all crew in COVID-19 health protocols
- Ventilation Systems
- Enhanced fresh air distribution into public spaces and staterooms
- HEPA filtration systems to key areas such as medical centers and dedicated isolation rooms
- Partnerships with Local Stakeholders
- Working with local health authorities, destinations and other key stakeholders to ensure alignment on our enhanced health measures
- Monitor disease activity and health regulations in the destinations we visit and adjust the itinerary as necessary
For the latest updates on cruise operations from our nine world-leading cruise line brands, please visit the brand homepages at the links below.